04 September 2008

Practical Matters

Wednesday is normally a bit of a TV wasteland for me. Last night was pretty much the same except I was planning on watching the pilot of Sons of Anarchy. For those of you who don't watch TV; the show is about a biker "club" in the fictional town of Charming, CA. They are led by Hellboy, and second in command is the original founder's son, Jackson (Charlie Hunnam, super hot). Since the show is on FX at 10 pm, there is some leeway with the type of language they are allowed to use - and use it they did. I didn't count or anything, but I believe that each character who had more than one scene said "shit." Prick and asshole were close seconds.

The whole thing starts of with a raid of the Sons gun warehouse by a rival club, the Mayans. In case the name wasn't obvious enough, the Mayans are Latinos. They steal several crates of guns and then torch the place. Several of the Sons go up to the warehouse the next morning to investigate the blast, and we are made aware of the fact that the Sons have most of the local police force in their linty, leather pockets. Oh, and for those of you who have an, ahem, barbecue fetish, two people were trapped in the warehouse and were crispy-fried.

We next learn that Jackson (Jax) has a crackhead pregnant ex-wife who OD's in a puddle of melting ice cream. His son, Abel, is 10 weeks premature. In addition, the poor kid has a messed up gut and a congential heart defect. Jax deals with this by going out and pummeling, and then skewering (with a busted pool cue no less), the dude who sold the drugs to the ex-wife. And when I say skewer I mean...you know, I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

Lots of other stuff happens. Jax finds a box of his dad's stuff; journals and photos mostly, and starts to question if what the Sons have become is truly what his dad wanted. Jax's mom (Katey Segal) says some horrible things to both the female doctor (it is implied the doctor lady was involved with the biker lifestyle) who helped with little Abel, and Jax's ex. Hellboy fucks up some Mayans and Jax finally goes to see his son.

Really, I wasn't trying to do a synopsis. What I wanted to do is talk about practicality. Jax's mom did what she thought was necessary to secure a safe future for her grandson. Jax beat the caca out of the dude who sold drugs to the ex because he wanted to send a message. Of course, knocking the stuffing out of the guy after the chick had OD'd doesn't really solve anything, but he did what he thought he had to do. The Sons raid the Mayans to get the guns back and then blow the place to smithereens. Why? Because it was what needed to be done. Messages were sent. I guess we'll see next week if they were received.

How practical is too practical? I always felt that I could do what needed to be done, if it came down to it, but I don't think I could tempt someone into a fatal OD just to save a baby. I don't know if I want to know for a fact that my boyfriend, husband, whatever, killed to protect me or our life. Am I really the type of person who would want the aforementioned significant other to commit felony assault to avenge a slight against me? In the interest of complete honesty; I will admit to wanting him to want to commit felony assault for me.

Before you tap me politely on the shoulder and point out that this is a TV show, I KNOW. I know these people are made up. However, these biker clubs do exist. People like Jax, Clay and Gemma probably exist somewhere, in some form, right? There are people who will maim or kill to right a perceived wrong, or to defend what is theirs. My ex-husband was the practical sort. If you consider wanting to start an assassination business practical. No, I'm not kidding, but what I was going to mention is that I was pretty sure that he would rather kill for me than die for me.

Did any of that make sense? When does doing what needs to be done go to far? I guess that's an individual line that each person must set for themselves. After all, my too far is not your too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment