05 August 2008

In Praise of Cloudy Days

I was outside on my afternoon nic-fix and was pleased to see that it had gotten cloudy. Don't get me wrong; I mostly enjoy the sunshine and as I am afflicted with a mild case of seasonal affective disorder the summer months are definitely better for me overall. But by early/mid-August, I'm thoroughly bored with blue skies and sunshine.

Besides the obvious benefits of keeping car interiors cooler, the cloudy skies make driving home much nicer. I don't have to plan my stops to take maximum advantage of what shade is available. There aren't spears of light reflecting off of passing cars; blinding me and planting the seeds for future squint lines. It doesn't have to rain, but I am happy when there is a higher percentage of clouds in the sky.

After giving it some thought, I realized that I like cloudy days so much because I don't feel any guilt for sitting inside, blinds closed, reading a book or zoning out to some TV. Sunny days have this subliminal message of "Come outside. Enjoy the light, be active, grow things." I don't mind outdoor activities but I don't have a bottomless capacity for them.

Another reason I like the overcast is because I feel cloudy weather, especially overcast of the grayer variety, more accurately reflects my general mood and attitude. In case you hadn't figured it out by now, I am not Little Miss Sunshine. I have my cheery moments and I'm not depressed all the time, but I'm definitely not relentlessly perky (even under the influence). Hell, I"m not even usually perky.

I'm ready for jeans and hoodies. I want falling leaves and brisk weather and hayrides (jr, we are SO going this year. no excuses). I want a cool breeze through my bedroom window while I sleep. And yes, I know it is sunny in the fall and winter months, but it's easier for me to take if the temperature is cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment