28 August 2008

Southbound

It is so easy to claim that you are open-minded and non-biased when you aren't faced with someone who so obviously doesn't think the same way you do. It is easy to forget that other people have different value systems, morals and ethics until you're slapped in the face with their deviance.

I started thinking about this earlier today while reading a review of Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What is Says About Us). The other thing that got me started was an incident of some ballsy driving I observed on the Boulevard. I was sitting at the light at Plaza Blvd, patiently waiting for the light to change. I was in the far right-hand lane behind a guy waiting to make the right onto Plaza. Some dude in a black pick-up shoots past me on the left, swings right onto Plaza, flips a bitch, and motors across the Boulevard to the northbound lanes. Did I mention that he was merrily honking to his buddies?

While I was kind of shocked at his maneuver, I was also mildly impressed with his cojones. I can count on one hand the times I have deliberately run a red light and this dude didn't even want to wait 30 seconds for the light to change so he could make a legal turn around. Balls, I tells ya.

The vast majority of us believe we are better than average drivers. No one wants to admit that they often don't pay close attention, or that their driving suffers when they are on the phone. I find it is rather easy to sneer at my fellow motorists and smugly think that my driving skills are far superior.

OK, I guess driving isn't so much about morals and ethics but it is still about a large group of people who have to observe certain rules and strictures in order for things to go smoothly.
So many people are of the firm belief that their time is far more precious, and they are more entitled to take up space. The problem is exacerbated by each person thinking that it doesn't matter what they do because, well, who else is going to be looking out for you? That's right, no one. You gotta reach out and grab at any opportunity to speed yourself along: to make that appointment, to get your kids, to hit the 10 for 10 sale at Acme.

Whew. Alright, shake it off. Really, the thing that gets me is that I hate feeling responsible for other people. I shouldn't have to pay attention for that soccer mom in her H3, yakking away on the cell. Why isn't it enough that I pay attention and (mostly) do my best to be a good driver? Sure, I've done, and most likely will do again, some dumb-ass shit, but that's the exception. And now I know you're sitting there saying, "You just said most people think they are better than average drivers. You're no different." I guess I'm not any different, but the human animal has a great capacity to make sweeping generalizations that have nothing to do with themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment