14 January 2009

Ok, Ouch

This may come as a surprise to those of you who think certain things don't bother me, but I am upset by the fact that a coworker/friend called me a bitch.

Short version: I said something that made it sound like this person made a mistake. She got really offended by this. I apologized, probably not very gracefully. A while later I decided a more sincere apology was in order. I sent her a text. Texting is an amazing thing. It gives people the courage to say things to you that they wouldn't say to your face. Ah, technology. So she called me a bitch and not in a roundabout manner either. Said it was always something with me and she was the one dealing with it. I'm actually kind of impressed with her balls. She's not usually the most confrontational person. Oh, and make of this what you will, but I couldn't help but focus on the fact that she said "your a bitch" not "you're a bitch."

Now I'm dwelling. One of the human animal's great skills is to take one event and make it into something large and unwieldy. Part of me wants to say to her, "You're too thin-skinned. Stop taking shit so personal." Most of me is moping around, wondering if everyone thinks I'm a bitch. Then I realize that I don't care what most people think. However, I care very deeply about what a few think. And posting about the situation is my compromise between whining to all my friends or sulking in silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment