11 May 2009

Star Trek Review

Fellow nerds rejoice! The new Star Trek movie doesn't suck! Spoilers ahoy.

I took in an 11pm screening of the movie Saturday night. I was accompanied by my pop, my gay-BFF and his boyf. And yes, I was one of approximately 10 girls in the theater. That's cool; I like being in the minority.

Just a couple of points to address before I get into this: I was never an original Trekkie. My preferences were for TNG and the first 2 seasons of Voyager. I hate Wrath of Khan because of the ear bug incident. I'm not here to argue canon. As the movie points out, this is an AU situation here, people. Which conveniently opens things up for a whole slew of new movies that can boldly go in new directions.

I don't have any major objections to the casting. I did feel that Zoe Saldana's Uhuru was a little too sharp-edged, but there's definitely room for growth and you got flashes of her softer side in scenes with Zachary Quinto as Spock. Whose pointy-eared babies I would have. If I wanted babies.

Chis Pine does an adequate job of portraying a conflicted, cocky, underachieving Kirk. He leans a little too much towards cocky and unlikable, but gets the pudding beat out of him on many occasions, so that's good. Also, take notice of a recurring theme of dangling over a deadly drop. I was a little skeptical that Kirk's conviction and passion would trump Starfleet regs, but I'll let it go. I knew there would have to be some suspension of disbelief. Like Spock stranding Kirk on the ice planet. Dude, there's a brig for a reason. Also, how could such a large predator survive on an ice planet? What the hell does it eat? It can't possibly live off of stranded Starfleet cadets.

Eric Bana's Nero is a villain of few words but many scowls. His enormous, pointy, well-armed mining ship seems able to survive an exploding starship but lacks in the plumbing department. For some reason, there is standing water all over the place. And wires. Seems like an electrocution is just around the corner. Did like the uniforms though. I'll take a trench and combat boots over a goldenrod team jersey.

One of the good things about the movie is that you don't feel that any of the actors are trying to ape their predecessors. John Cho doesn't try to imitate George Takei's baritone and Simon Pegg's Scottish accent is much clearer.

There are definitely bits in there for the old school Trekkies. "Dammit, I'm a doctor, not a (whatever)." The Vulcan neck pinch and mind meld make appearances as well.

All in all, a good reboot. Here's hoping that this iteration of Trek can keep things fresh.

1 comment: