31 May 2008

Financial Times

I'm conflicted. I know that part of the reason the government is sending out the "Economic Stimulus" checks is to pacify a discontented populace. I often refer to the checks as the "No, there's no war" checks, or "The dirty monkey's dirty money" checks. My dad has already stated that he will be donating his check to a charity. Good for my dad. My situation, however, is a bit different.

Speaking plainly, I'm broke. Once I pay my rent, I'm going to have a net worth of approximately $12.47. I'm not a huge spender; I can easily not buy shoes, or clothes, or even (this one hurts) books. I can pack my lunches, eat leftovers for dinner, and drink work coffee. What I cannot do is drive to work with no fuel, or allow my cats to starve because I can't keep them in kibble.

So, I really want that fucking check and it isn't being mailed until the end of June. This does me no good. Plus, I really hate that I want that fucking check so bad. I wish I could get that fucking check and sign it right over to my non-profit, or Planned Parenthood, or another worthy group but that's not going to happen. The best I can do is pledge to use the money to pay rent, my PGW bill, or the credit card bill. For some reason, I really don't want to use that money to buy things that I wouldn't have normally. No mattresses, tires, or any of the other things that the advertisers are trying desperately to convince me that I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment