11 March 2009

Semi-conscious Musings

I am very upset with myself.

I don't know about you, but when I'm laying in bed, my mind goes to strange places. I think about things that wouldn't usually occur to me when I'm more alert. For example, last night I started thinking about Fibonacci numbers and how it took me an extraordinary amount of time to grasp the concept. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking I've mentioned Fibonacci numbers before. OK, a quick search didn't reveal anything. Now, while I understand the sequence (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21...), I still don't understand how a flower can have a Fibonacci number of petals. Apparently this Fibonacci junk happens quite often in nature.

From Fibonacci numbers, I somehow started musing on things I do that I wish I didn't. Junk like nail-biting, getting weirdly fixated on people I'm probably never going to meet, (you know, unless I do something illegal/crazy, and I hear jail isn't so much fun), say oddly aggressive things that I think are hilarious but make other people back away slowly, etc. I wasn't laying there feeling sorry for myself or anything, just musing.

Then I started thinking "Gee, maybe some of this would make for an interesting blog post. Maybe I should get up, since I can't sleep anyway, and bang some of this out." Then I remembered that I shut the netbook down, and that I couldn't afford to oversleep so I rolled over and thought "Maybe I'll remember enough of it in the morning." Well, I don't and that's why I am angry. I had a great stream-of-consciousness thing going; complete with clever blog title. Sure, I could still use the title, but it just didn't seem right if the body wasn't going to be the way I laid it out in my head. Even now, I'm remembering other things I was thinking about but I can't quite recall how they related to Fibonacci numbers. Therefore, they must not have been that important.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you should sleep with your netbook by your side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had EXACTLY the same thought!

    ReplyDelete