17 June 2008

Rant on Dating

I'm beat and my foot is killing me, but there are some things I need to get out before I lose the thread entirely.

I guess it's because I don't date much, but I just realized that the reason that some people come off as so desperate and clingy is because they are so fucking frustrated with the effort of dating and they want this date to be the date. You know, the last date. It's not simply the loneliness. It's the getting dressed, monitoring your thought processes (especially if you're me), curbing the less than desirable habits, deconstructing and analyzing every stupid thing that happened and every word that was said.

People talk about vibes. "Oooo, did you get an 'I like you' vibe from him?" I don't fucking know. Do I actually know him? Not really. And for someone who is an advocate of communication, I am guilty of drawing my own conclusions instead of coming out and asking. Because asking is risky. If you ask a question, you'll invariably get an answer. You have to prepare yourself for all possible answers. There's the chance that you won't like the answer, but hey, you asked.

I think the best you can hope for is good conversation with a good person - good beer and good food is optional. Unfortunately, some people (and I have been guilty of this too) are too concerned with what comes next. Do I call him? Will he call me? I'd love to say that it doesn't matter, but we all know it does. Some small part of you is screaming "Oh my god, like me! Want to see me again! Think I'm witty and entertaining!" even though you know he didn't think you were a loser because he didn't ditch you while you were in the bathroom.

I'm noticing that I'm making less sense as I go on, so I believe I'll wrap it up. Dating is a trial, but as long as you're not concerned with forever, it can be OK, too. Words of wisdom, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment